Welcoming your own child into this world is one of the most breathtaking events a woman can experience, but it shouldn’t go without saying that it takes a toll on their body. Sagging skin, sagging breasts, and weakened abdominal muscles are the byproducts of giving birth. In today’s world, we are inundated with pictures of the perfect bodies of women who have recently given birth and have recovered from that. This instills a feeling of insecurity among other groups of women who are dissatisfied with their bodies. This has led to heightened demand for the procedures called ‘Mommy Makeover’.
Understanding What Is ‘Mommy Makeover’
Mommy makeover involves several procedures such as tummy tuck, breast lift, breast augmentation, and liposuction. But the consultation for you will be strictly personalized because not all women have to go through all the procedures, some only need to have two or three. The only way to know what procedures you will have to go through is by consulting with a certified plastic surgeon. The following list will further help you understand the procedures that are followed during a mommy makeover –
- Breast lift and Augmentation – After having given birth the mammary glands expand for milk production so when they expand, the skin naturally expands to accommodate the glands. The glands come back to their previous state once the baby is done breastfeeding, unlike the mammary glands the skin remains in its stretched state. Due to this expansion of skin many women are eventually left with flatter, saggier breasts which require surgical uplifting. This makes this breast lift and augmentation surgery preferable.
Related Post- Fat Transfer Breast Augmentation
- Liposuction – Liposuction is the process of removing fat with the minimally invasive technique via tube insertion. Liposuction is usually done prior to the tummy tuck. Liposuction is not only restricted to the abdominal area but can also be used to remove stubborn fat in the hip region.
- Tummy Tuck – During the surgery of the tummy tuck, an elongated incision will be made around your tummy region. The space which will be created due to this incision will allow the surgeon to take a closer look inside your tummy. Your loose and excessive skin will be removed and any muscle damage will be repaired.
- Labiaplasty – vaginal region of women have two important structures, labia majora and labia minora. Labia majora is the out hairy structure while labia minora is the internal delicate structure protected by the outer labia majora. At the time of childbirth, the vagina substantially expands, which sometimes results in overstretching of labia minora. It affects the woman’s ability to function normally and hinders sexual activity. Fortunately, surgeons perform labiaplasty to correct this defect. They make a cut in the labia minora region to remove the extra hanging skin and then stitch it back to keep it in the restricted area. Once again the woman can have well-functional labia minora protected by the outer labia majora.
When Is The Right Time To Get A Mommy Makeover?
There is a generalized notion that after getting the procedure done the patient can get back to their pre-baby selves right after a few weeks or months of giving birth, but contrary to this popular belief no surgery is capable enough to do that. Attempting to do it is not considered to be safe. You must keep in mind that carrying a human being inside you for 9 months and the process of giving birth puts your body under an immense amount of stress, and getting surgery done right after giving birth will again put your body through an extreme level of stress. No reputed surgeon will suggest this.
So what is the right time to get the mommy makeover after pregnancy? In the experience of our surgeon Dr. Priti Shukla, an expert in mommy makeover surgery located in Hyderabad, It is important that you line up the procedures when the recovery is possible with minimal interruption.
What You Should Keep In Mind Before Getting A Mommy Makeover?
Following are the criteria that you should keep in mind apart from waiting for six months before getting the mommy makeover –
- You have to be in good overall health prior to the surgery- As this is a procedure involving more than one invasive procedure, it makes it essential for you to take care of your health before putting your body into a stressful state again. During pregnancy some women develop certain health conditions such as type two diabetes, blood pressure-related issues, thyroid, etc., so consulting and getting a green signal card from your doctor becomes crucial.
- You will need to set the budget accordingly – mommy makeover cost usually varies between 2,10,000 rupees to 4,75,000 rupees. Mommy makeover involves so many procedures, making it costlier than other surgical procedures. Although the cost eventually depends upon the surgery you choose.
- Ideally, you should wait until you’re done having kids before getting a full mommy makeover. As having subsequent pregnancy will again stretch your abdomen and breasts, it might lead to a tear in your abdominal muscles as well. Although revision surgeries can be performed, they can fairly warn you about potential risks.
Estimated Recovery Expectations After The Surgery –
‘If you undergo full mommy makeover then you should keep in mind that your recovery period is not going to be short’, says Dr. Priti Shukla, a mommy makeover surgery specialist from Hyderabad. Particularly speaking about the tummy tuck surgery, the recovery period is very long, requiring prolonged periods of rest. After undergoing this process a complete bed rest for at least 2-3 weeks is suggested. During this crucial stage of care, you will not be able to lift more than 25 pounds. If you are a parent with young toddlers in need of care and time, enlisting them for around-the-clock childcare services is recommended.
During the initial phase of recovery, it’s better advised to have someone around who can help you with the basic everyday tasks. You should take help from someone even when you try to walk as it may put pressure on your incision, resulting in certain post-surgical complications. That’s why having somebody around you to help you to go to the bathroom or prepare food would be of great comfort. Make sure to put extra pillows on your bed while you sleep to support your body while resting.
The last thing that you must keep in mind is that you’ll not see results immediately right after the surgery. Due to the surgical wound, your abdominal region and the breasts will be in a swollen state. The wound will take time to recover, but this is not something you should be worrying about, the effect is temporary and is expected to heal soon. As soon as the surgical wounds start to heal you’ll start to observe the results. Remember to be kind to yourself for the duration of this whole process!
Also Read- What is the Ideal Breast Size?