Heavy Upper Eyelids
Droopiness of upper eyelids can be by birth, and that is called Ptosis. Besides that droopiness and heaviness also happens in healthy eyes with ageing. Heaviness feels more in the evenings after a long day’s work. People seek treatment for this because it is unattractive and makes the person look aged, but also because heaviness interferes with reading and in severe cases restricts the field of vision.
Droopy and heavy eyelids can have one or more of the following problems:
1. Excess skin in upper eyelid, hanging up eyelashes and causing difficulty in application of eye makeup in women
2. Excess fatty bulges adding to heaviness
3. Droopy/saggy eyebrow: Eyebrow sags down with age and gravity. That adds to cramping up of skin in the upper eyelid
4. Ptosis: the weakness of eyelid elevating muscle can be by birth, due to injury or just related to ageing.
Treatment of drooping eyelid requires a thorough assessment of the cause. Treatment gives youthful, opened up, fresh look to the upper eyelid and relieves the heavy feeling.
One or more of the following procedures is done to address the problem:
- Upper eyelid Blepharoplasty surgery: This surgery removes extra skin and fat pads and gives a long lasting solution
- injections can elevate the eyebrow and thus reduce the heaviness and give attractive look
- Viora RF treatment: This treatment tightens the skin of the forehead and thus raises the eyebrows.
Which treatment is best for my heavy eyelids?
An experienced plastic surgeon can diagnose the main cause of your problem and advise the treatment accordingly.
Is upper eyelid surgery safe?
In the hands of an experienced surgeon, upper eyelid surgery is safe.
Are the results permanent?
Results of surgery are long lasting. effect lasts 4-5 months, and RF treatments need to be repeated as necessary.