Many men feel that their breasts look big. When they wear T-shirts, they look like women’s breasts, and that causes men to feel embarrassed, and others to tease them .
This is called gynecomastia. Sometimes gynecomastia may go away by exercising, but if it fails and has excess skin or gland tissue, then surgery is the option. Surgery makes the chest flat, and hence increases confidence and morale.
Many men – from 40 to 60% – suffer from what is called male breasts or gynecomastia. Male breast reduction uses the same technique as liposuction for the removal of fat. This process is fast, easy, and the recovery time is short. Male breast reduction is becoming increasingly popular because they are becoming increasingly aware about the procedure and its positive effects.
If you are one of the gynecomastia sufferers, then this blog may be useful for you. Male Breast Reduction Surgery is a common plastic surgery procedure for men. People who wish to remove excess, stubborn, and unwanted chest fat, visit Ambrosia clinic If you are suffering with this embarrassing condition visit Ambrosia clinic and you can know your options. We provide you knowledge about
- What is gynecomastia
- Surgical procedure
- Pre, and postoperative care
What is Gynecomastia?
Gynecomastia is a condition in which a man’s breast begins to develop like a woman’s breast (male breast Enlargement). Some men have fat on their chest that makes them look like big breasts. This condition is called “pseudo gynecomastia.” It is not the same as gynecomastia.
It is believed that gynecomastia is caused by changes in the hormone estrogen to androgens. Gynecomastia is caused due to an increase in estrogen production, reduction of androgen production, or a mixture of these two variables. Estrogen which is a development hormone increases the size of male breast tissue. The cause of gynecomastia is not clear in about 25% of cases.
Gynecomastia found in adolescents is resolved by itself, and for some time it can be ignored. If it is not resolved, then treatment is suggested by the doctor after seeing the patient.
What Causes Gynecomastia?
Gynecomastia naturally occurs at different stages in a man’s life. These phases are:
New Born babies: Newborn babies are still under the effect of estrogen, which they receive from their mothers as they develop in the womb. More than half of newborns are born with enlarged breasts. Gynecomastia disappears in two to three weeks after the birth of the child.
In Adolescence: Hormone levels change during puberty (usually 12 to 14 years). Breast enlargement usually disappears six months to two years after puberty.
In Grown Men: Breast enlargement often reaches peak levels in men between the ages of 50 and 80 years due to fat tissue or hormonal imbalances.
And some of the medications, diseases, and conditions can cause gynecomastia.
- Medications like corticosteroids, antibiotics, herbs, tea tree oil, opioids, heartburn, and anti-anxiety can cause gynecomastia.
- Gynecomastia also associated with some conditions and treatments like obesity, low testosterone levels, cirrhosis, and hyperthyroidism.
- Obesity, which can cause more estrogen
- Any cause that affects the production of testosterone
- Some infants may get gynecomastia because their mother’s hormones are still in their bodies.
What Are the Signs and Symptoms of Gynecomastia?
- Enlarged male breasts are one of the primary symptoms of gynecomastia
- Rubbery or firm nipples.
- Feel of pain or tenderness when breast or nipple are touched.
Treatment for Male Breast Reduction in Hyderabad:
In adolescents who do not have a clear cause of gynecomastia, doctors recommend a routine check-up every three to six months to see if their condition improves independently. Gynecomastia often disappears without treatment in less than two years.
Treatment may be needed if gynecomastia does not improve on its own or if it causes significant pain and sensitivity.
Medications for the treatment of other conditions may be beneficial for some men with gynecomastia. But mostly medications don’t help .
Surgery to Remove Excess Breast Tissue Or Fat:
Regardless of nonsurgical treatment, if you are still experiencing significant breast enlargement, your doctor may recommend surgery.
Ideal Candidates for Gynecomastia Surgery?
Below are the ideal candidates for choosing gynecomastia surgery:
- If you have fat in stubborn areas that are resistant to diet and exercise
- If a man has a disproportionate figure like a woman’s breasts, which leads to a lack of self-esteem.
- If no improvement with the use of medications or nonsurgical treatment.
- Feeling self-conscious to go topless for swimming or gym
- If you are losing weight and that causes sagging of the breast skin.
- If you are feeling difficulty in buying clothes due to disproportion breast
Gynecomastia Surgery Procedure for Male Breast Reduction at Ambrosia Clinic Hyderabad:
Pre Operative Care:
- Plastic surgeon will advise you to lose weight before gynecomastia surgery for better results.
- She will discuss your expectations to get the best results after surgery.
- Your surgeon will tell you if you have to stop and continue activities such as smoking.
- Stop taking aspirin or any other medication to control bleeding during surgery
- Evaluate your medical history and general health
- Describes the type of anesthesia used during surgery
- Order various lab tests done to make sure you are fit for anesthesia and surgery
- Do not hide anything, any kind of history medical or surgical if you want the best and safest outcome.
The Day of Male Breast Reduction Surgery:
- Plastic surgeon will visit you in your room and mark the area to be treated.
- He will also receive your final consent form and answer any questions you might have at the last minute.
Depending on the excess tissue and fat, there are two surgical procedures involved in the operation:
Liposuction: Done when you have excess fat in the chest area.
Gynecomastia liposuction is done under local or general anesthesia. It contains small incisions on both sides of the chest, the edge of the areola or under the armpit. Through this incision, a cosmetic surgeon inserts a thin tube to loosen excess fat and eliminate it with a high-performance vacuum, forming a new, more natural contour in the chest.
Breast reduction in men: It is done if you have excessive breast tissue.
Like all surgeries, male breast reduction surgery is also carried out under general anaesthesia. In this procedure, the surgeon will cut the nipple area that allows the surgeon to remove the tissue.
Sometimes these cuts may be extended if you have much tissue and nipples are removed and repositioned. The procedure will typically take 90 minutes. A cosmetic surgeon will take care of where to place incisions so that the resulting scars are invisible after the surgery.
Liposuction and breast reduction surgery is performed at a time if you have an excess of both fatty and glandular tissue.
Surgery time: 1-3 hours
Hospital Stay: You will be discharged immediately, but take rest for one day at home
Post Operative Care:
- Band aid like dressing to close the incision site
- You will have a support garment on breast
- Drain tube is not used routinely .
- doctor will prescribe painkillers and antibiotics take them on time as prescribed
- Bruising and swelling but this will disappear after one or two weeks.
- Possible numbness temporarily
- Pain and discomfort temporarily
- Male Breast reduction surgery results can be visible immediately.
- The surgeon will tell you how you should take rest without going to work (Depends upon the patient) usually between one and two weeks.
- You need to rest for 48 hours and avoid bending and lifting weights.
- Don’t remove your supportive garments before your first postoperative visit to the Clinic. Wear elastic clothes for 1 to 4 weeks to get the best results and reduce scars.
- Maintain general hygiene by washing stripes
- You can shower from the day after surgery .
- It is essential to schedule a postoperative appointment to care for your wound and visit the surgeon after surgery to ensure how your curing from surgery.
- Follow all instructions provided by the doctor to avoid complications.
- Visit the doctor immediately if you have bleeding, severe pain, or unusual symptoms.
- Sutures usually dissolve and no need of removing them.
- The surgical area heals quickly, and scars will fade easily.
- Flexible clothing must wear for a week.
- In general, you can expect to return to work in a few days.
- In the first week, you should get enough rest and avoid many exercises. You can start work after one week and start jogging/light activity after a few weeks. For your upper body workouts, lifting weights must wait a month until you fully recover.
The results of gynecomastia surgery are immediately visible. Over time, postoperative swelling will disappear, and the scar marks will fade. Satisfaction with your new image will continue to increase as you recover from surgery.
Cost of gynecomastia surgery : : It varies from patient to patient, depending on the condition.
Benefits Of Gynecomastia Surgery:
- Increased self-esteem.
- Increased self-confidence.
- Wear the clothes of your choice.
- Feel more in proportion and less self-conscious, due to the abnormal increase in glandular tissue
The chest appears to be flatter, firmer, and better contoured.
Gynecomastia is a complex condition that presents a big challenge for cosmetic surgeons. Initial treatment should aim to correct severe anomalies or stop any medications that can contribute to this condition.
It is impossible for gynecomastia, which has been around for more than two years, to give results with medical treatment. In this case, the surgery remains the basis of care. Although surgical techniques explained the primary goal of surgery is to correct deformation and restore normal body contour, to maintain the viability of nipple-areola complex, and to avoid excessive scars.
Although there are significant possible complications associated with surgery if board certified plastic surgeons are not chosen and If you don’t follow the post and preoperative care.
If you have a careful planning and plastic surgeon selection, then the surgical results will be beneficial for patients and surgeons and provide a high level of satisfaction.
Gynecomastia Treatment Surgery at Ambrosia Clinic in Hyderabad:
At Ambrosia clinic, Hyderabad, Dr. Priti Shukla, and his team of plastic surgeons have decades of combined experience in all kinds of plastic and cosmetic surgery. Book your appointment now with Dr. Priti Shukla and discuss your issue and understand the possible course of action.
You can choose us because we provide you the certified specialised doctors, user-friendly Clinic, Spacious rooms, good staff members, and after surgery, the patient will be discharged early.