There are creams in the market that claim to remove all types of scars. They are expensive and their advertisements are attractive. But the truth is that by using these creams without consulting a specialist you may be wasting your time and money and possibly inviting trouble.
Most important thing before treatment is the diagnosis. All scars are not alike, basically there are some scar which will never improve by anything except surgery. So you are wasting time using any medicines on them. Among the rest of the scars that can be improved without surgery there are many kinds and each one requires a different treatment. A dark pigmented scar needs a different kind of cream rather than an elevated red scar. Some scars need stronger treatment like injections and lasers or chemical peeling. If you are doing self treatment with these creams you are likely to lose the golden period when the scar is fresh and can be treated without surgery. After the scar is old, nothing else works. The best treatment of your scar, which may be:
- Creams/gels: Different cream for different problem.
- Injections into the scar: Like steroid injection for elevated scar, dermal fillers for depressed scars.
- Silicon gel/sheets: For red elevated scars.
- Laser: For pigmented or red scars.
- Chemical peels: For pigmented scars.
- Surgery: For depressed scars, birthmarks, old scars, acne scars.
A consultation with a specialist plastic surgeon or dermatologist can save you months of wasted efforts and money.
The post Anti-Scar Creams: Do They Work? appeared first on Ambrosia Clinic – Dr. Priti Shukla.