Hear Your Ear!!
(Ohh, you already pierced your ear…No worries.
Read it to spread the good word.)
In India, Ear piercing has a cultural significance. It is the first adorned piece a girl child owns soon after she is born. Households have ceremonies around-ear piercing events and blessings for a great future come pouring from every member of the family. In men also, ear-piercing holds a traditional edge. A lot of communicative pieces have been written as to why ear piercings are important? Ear lobes punctures are known to benefit health reproductively, intellectually, and even contribute towards superstitions.
In this read, let’s learn about what one should know before getting their ear pierced. Did you know a different part of ear heal around different timelines? Read on for more informative interventions. Your ear is more than just a sensory organ. It exposes you to the perception the world has about you. Let’s understand how we can make the transition from a no-pierced look to a pierced one, with ease.
- Be ‘Lock-Wise’-The type of back lock you chose for the earring when your ear is pierced is very important. There are two types of earring locks-Threaded and butterfly. Threaded earring locks might be painful in the beginning, but they are much better than the butterfly type. The butterfly earring locks have more nickel density which is the root cause for many allergic reactions in people. At times, the swelling gets significantly large enough to engulf the butterfly lock. A longer earring bar such as the screw allows space for healing.
- Don’t go with the flow--You have decided to get your ear pierced, which is great for aesthetic appeal but don’t let excitement get the better of you. Decide which type of piercing is better and suits you better. Read the reviews of the salon where you intend to get the piercing done. Go to the experts with an open mind and be ready to shift your preferences. Discuss the better options which are feasible health-wise. One has to be careful about the moles, scars, or any other non-proportional ear features. Ear piercings can distract the gaze of the viewer away from these anomalies. The anatomy of the ear is most important when it comes to piercings. Often the stylist will fit the style and diameter of the earring to sync with the anatomy of the ear. All fingers aren’t the same, and this stands true to ears as well.
- Heal in time- -Different parts of the body have different healing times. This might sound strange, but it’s a fact. Your ear lobes heal faster (1 month) than the cartilage (3 months). The septum of the nose and nostril heals in 1 month, approximately. Navel takes around 1 month, and dermal skin heals in 2 to 3 months. Thinking of going bold, know this – the Nipple heals in 8 to 12 months. The type of metal you chose to get pierced with also matters. Usually, 14K and 18K ear studs which are nickel free are used for piercing. Hypoallergenic metals which are medical grades are also used to minimize the reactions if any. Healing times should be speeded up to decreases the chances of infection. Piercings of any kind at any place should not lead to infections and if they do, reach out to the medical practitioner immediately. Also, grandmas have some dietary restrictions (avoid pulses and meat products) to help heal the piercing wound, and let us tell they are not myths.
- Traditional or modern– This refers to how to go about it? Are you going to choose the needle piercing or the gun puncture? The industry experts lean towards the needle because they know that angle piercing matters. Needles are very smooth and easy glide from the skin from side to side without causing much discomfort. A gun, on the other hand, needs fixed lengths with thick studs. Ouch! That hurt.
- Tender love and care– Now that the hard part is done, it’s time for you to handle yourself with respect.
- Do not touch yourself with dirty hands.
- You often the bacterial breeding grounds with you- the phone, laptop keyboard etc. Even door handles are known to be sufficient breeding spots for bacteria. These could contaminate your skin wound even though it’s minor.
- Avoid removing the piercing till the skin heals. You can clean the wound using cotton earbuds.
- Sterile saline solution can also be used to clean the pierced spot. Avoid harsh products.