All men want to do is look like men. But then, it is impossible to look so with male breasts. But, dos having man boobs, or gynecomastia, as it is medically referred to, mean the end of the road?
Gynecomastia is the scientific word for male breasts. It describes the oddly shaped male chest, with the extra fat. However, all men have a male breast tissue, which is not payed attention to. But, when this tissue grows in a manner that is not normal to a male body, it results in Gynecomastia. The reason for this condition is due to the female hormone estrogen excess or hypersensitivity in males. Any change in the levels of male estrogen will impact upon the growth of male breasts.
Gynecomastia is a harmless, painless condition but it causes huge psychological trauma to the bearer.This trauma may not be expressed to friends and family, but constant shame and attempts to hide it is painful and traumatic. Exercises and medicines are often tried by men, before they realize that these things do not actually give relief and they turn to surgery after trying everything else. Scars are one of the things topmost on one’s mind, after surgery. Will they have ugly scars? will they have to bear the sign of their trauma forever? Lets find out.
What are the usual scars like after gynaecomastia surgery:
There are 2 types of scars after the gynecomastia surgery:
1. Liposuction scars: liposuction of chest is often done as a part of gynecomastia surgery. Liposuction is done through small cuts 4 mm in size and usually 1-2 on each side. After healing marks left are usually just spots of 4 mm size which are like any pimple spot. In some people they are dark initially but become pale and virtually invisible to see or touch.
2. Nipple scar: for gland removal. Gland removal is commonly required with or without liposuction. Scar is 2 cm long inside the dark nipple areola. This is closed with absorbable sutures usually and it is virtually invisible.
Normal vs Abnormal Gynecomastia scars:
Normal gynecomastia scars are virtually invisible to others – both nipple and liposuction scar.
Scars can sometimes be bothersome:
1. Liposuction Spots: When liposuction spots stay dark or get elevated – This depends on persons skin tendency to form scars. Treatment is available in form of creams, lasers for darker scars and stroid injections for elevated scars.
2. Nipple Scars: Nipples may look sunken and abnormal looking if extensive gland excision is done. Sometimes, nipples scars can be dark and elevated.
3. Chest Scars: Sometimes, surgeons who might have less experience or may not be qualified, may make scars on the chest apart from the above mentioned types of scars.
It’s essential, therefore, that something is done about the gynecomastia surgery scars. The various ways of removing the scars are as follows:
1. Prevent the scars in the first place by choosing the right and qualified plastic surgeon. Research is the key.
2. Discussing the scars by witnessing and researching about people who might have faced the similiar kind of scars and who got it rectified by the surgeon.
3. Certain scars can be avoided in a few cases. Discussing with your doctor helps to great extent by making them understand that you might have a history of bad scars.
4. If you notice scars, immediate rectification should be made. Informing your surgeon is the first step. According to the nature of the scars treatments are given. Creams, silicone gel sheets, injections and lasers are some of the common treatments done to remove scars. The final option if none of these work is Scar Revision surgery.
So, if you want to opt for a surgery, be advised to ask your doctor the right questions. It is also important for you to have patience as with time the scars will reduce and the texture of the skin will get even.
About the Clinic and Doctor
Dr. Priti Shukla is one of the best female cosmetic surgeons in Hyderabad. Her goal is to provide her patients with world class cosmetic surgery. She believes that everyone is beautiful and to determine the best options and help them make correct decisions. We at AMBROSIA clinic would delight to help you achieve your goals.AMBROSIA cosmetic clinic is one of the best clinics in Hyderabad in which they provide skin care, hair transplantation and plastic surgery.