There’s a new dress that you have bought. You want to try it out. But, the fact that you haven’t groomed your legs is preventing you from wearing it straight away. Then you think about visiting the beauty parlour and get your legs waxed, but the whole idea of pain makes you ditch that idea. So, the pretty new dress waits, for as long as you make up your mind on which option to choose.
Have you been in this kind of a situation? If you have, then this blog will be a big help!
Now, if you are a guy who is reading this, you’ll not relate to the above situation. But, If you are a guy tired of trimming your thick hair or shaping your beard, you can consult us and know methods of permanent hair reduction.
Is there really a way in which you can get permanent reduction of all the unwanted hair painlessly? Yes, there is.
Through a method called laser hair reduction.
Laser hair Removal Vs Conventional Removal Methods
Some of the most popular methods of temporary hair removal are waxing, epilation, chemical creams and shaving . While waxing does make sense as it helps you achieve a much smoother look, let’s take a look at why you should think before opting for this method.
- Waxing is painful! If you have had waxing sessions before, you’d understand what we are talking about. While some of you can bear the pain, many just skip these sessions to avoid it.
- It leaves red rashes behind and it’s not advised for anybody with sensitive skin.
- You’d probably have to wait for sometime before the hair growth reaches a certain level, else your waxing session will not be effective.
Now, let’s talk about hair removal creams . Even though it’s a quick fix to get a hair-free look, yet, the disadvantages are many for you to not opt for it.
- Constant usage of hair removal creams makes your skin darker due to chemicals in it.
- Hair grows back very quickly.
- You can have skin rashes due to the chemicals in hair removal creams
So, does laser resolve any of these issues?
The answer is a loud and clear yes. Laser hair removal methods are gaining popularity and at Ambrosia, we have many people opting for this state-of-the-art method to get rid of their unwanted hair. Not just are the results clinically proven, they are preferred by most people as the hair growth is taken care of quickly and very effectively. More importantly, since these procedures are performed by skilled doctors, there is more assurance and chances of things going wrong are eliminated.
Will Laser Hair Removal Hurt You?
It all begins with your idea of pain. But, if you have already been through the other options of hair removal, the laser method will definitely feel better. Coming down straight to business – does it hurt? No, It’s a painless procedure, you might rarely feel a very tiny little prick sensation. But here are a few things the tiny little prick sensation depends on:
- Your pain tolerance levels.
- If the hair thickness is more than normal in the area to be treated you might have the prick sensation
- If the area being treated has pigmentation.
So, you know that the laser hair reduction procedure at Ambrosia is painless. Get yourself a session scheduled to understand and experience it for yourself.
How Many Sessions Of Laser Hair Removal Will You Need?
Number of permanent laser hair reduction sessions depend on
- Area to be treated
- Density or thickness of the hair
- Active growth phase of the hair(hair in anagen phase responds best to hair reduction)
- Hormonal imbalance (patients with hormonal imbalance may take more sessions for specific areas).
If we had to break it down into numbers, ideally it takes anywhere between six to eight sessions with a gap of about a month. At the end of 6-8 sessions, there will be a minimum of 60 to 80 percent permanent hair reduction. It’s best you speak to us to ascertain how many sessions you will need.
Which Form Of Laser Hair Removal Works Best?
Laser treatment converts amplified light energy into heat energy when targeted on chromophore (melanin of hair ) causing photothermolysis. There are different types of lasers like Diode laser, Long pulse Nd:YAG, Long pulse Ruby, Long Pulse Alexandrite, Intense Pulsed Broadband Light Source available. All these lasers have a targeted chromophore and act at different wavelengths.
So, before you make a choice, it’s necessary that you consult us and have a chat to figure out what your needs are and what options best suit you. We will assess you and then recommend the best form of laser hair removal for you depending on skin type, colour, density and thickness
Laser Hair Removal And Skin Colour: What’s The Connection?
Melanin is the pigment responsible for colour of the skin and hair. The selective target chromophore in laser hair reduction is melanin. In darker skin types or when treating area which has pigmentation, there is increased epidermal melanin. When laser light is targeted to hair, the melanin of skin also absorbs laser light and might cause adverse effects or decrease the effectiveness of the laser hair reduction.
Thus in Fitzpatrick skin types 4–6 (brown,black and wheatish complexion types), proper selection of certain laser parameters like wavelength, fluence, pulse duration, spot size and cooling needs to be followed.
In short, the answer is, we will suggest you the best way to choose a laser hair removal treatment after assessing your skin type, area to be treated and hair colour, density and thickness.
Laser Hair Removal Sessions
Now, let’s understand what is the procedure you have to go through to make your skin hair-free.
- After taking an informed consent the area to be treated is cleansed.
- The procedure will begin with the hair on the area being trimmed down.
- Now, depending on your skin colour, thickness, density of the hair and the area, the doctor will adjust the fluence and energy needed to be delivered in area to be treated.
- You will be required to wear eye protection glasses.
- After applying a cooling gel, the laser beams are targeted to the area, constantly monitoring it for any reactions.
- Once the session is over, you will be given an ice pack to soothe your skin.
How Much Time Will You Take To Recover From Laser Hair Removal?
Like mentioned above, your laser sessions aren’t painful. You might, however, very rarely experience some irritation and soreness soon after the session is completed. The best way to recover from this is to use an ice pack immediately. This irritation or redness might persist for a day maximum, but please consult your dermatologist if it continues beyond that.
So, in short, your downtime will just be about a day and not more than that. In fact, you can resume normal activities immediately after each session, but there are a few things that you should keep in mind.
- Your skin might experience some irritation, but please do not itch or scratch it. If there is persistent redness or any other skin lesion, please report to the dermatologist
- Patient should also be reassured that the damaged hair is often shed in first few days of treatment and is not a sign of hair growth.
- Protect your skin from the harsh sunlight as much as you can.
- Do not do any cosmetic procedures on the treated area, 1 week before and after the hair reduction procedure.
- Do not bleach, thread, wax or epilate in between the laser sessions.
- Keep your dermatologist posted on your progress.
Here’s How You Can Choose The Best Laser Hair Removal Clinic
Let’s first understand one thing. There are several ‘cosmetic centers’ mushrooming in every nook and corner that claim to perform laser hair removal procedures at attractive prices. Please do not fall for such advertisements. It’s a procedure to be performed on your skin, so please make a wise choice. Here are some pointers that will help.
- Research: It’s essential that you conduct a thorough research on the different options from which you can choose. Read the content on the website of the clinic, check out their reviews and ensure that what you see is genuine.
- Doctors: You should never compromise on the quality of the doctors. Even though sometimes the procedure might come at a certain price, please understand that a qualified doctor will bring good quality and expertise to the table, which eliminates the possibility of anything going wrong. Check for their experience, expertise and qualifications.
- Facilities: It’s critical that you check with the doctor if the most technologically advanced equipment is being used. This will help you get a better sense of whether to opt for the clinic or not.
Permanent Laser hair reduction techniques are absolutely safe till the time they are performed by doctors who are qualified to do them. So, should you get it done? Yes! Everybody wants freedom from unwanted hair and if there’s a way for you to achieve silky smooth skin like they show in TV and movies, then why not? If having desirable skin boosts your confidence and makes you feel happy, then you should totally go for it. If you have the slightest of doubts, please feel free to walk into Ambrosia Clinic and get a detailed consultation that will give you a clearer picture.
About the doctor:
Dr. Sindhuri Reddy
Dr. Sindhuri Reddy specializes in clinical and cosmetic dermatology and dermatosurgery. Her continuous thrive to be updated in recent advances of skincare gives her a unique insight and approach to skincare. She has an MBBS and MD from NTR University of Health sciences and has done observership at Mayo Clinic, USA. She has several academic publications to her credit. Her areas of special interest are acne scars, hair transplantations, and lasers.