Nose surgery / Nose Job in India is commonly requested by both men and women. Plastic surgery can correct the obvious deformities as well as refine the nose. You can opt for this Nose Job In India surgery if:
- Your nose appears too large for your face.
- Nasal bridge is depressed.
- There is a bump on the nasal bridge when viewed in profile.
- Your nose seems too wide when viewed from the front.
- The nasal tip droops or plunges.
- The tip is thickened or enlarged.
- Your nostrils are excessively flared.
- Your nose is off-center or crooked.
- Previous injury has made your nose asymmetrical.
- Anaesthesia: General / Local
- Surgery Time: 1-2 hours
- Hospital Stay: Discharge same day or next day
- Stitches: Usually none or removed in 5 days. Splint on nose for 5-7 days
- Recovery: Walking and dinner same day
- Self Care: Same day
- Work: Back to work in 7-10 days
- Sports: 3 months
- Activities: Treadmill: 2-3 weeks
- How is it Done: Usually through small cuts hidden inside the nose, work is done on the cartilage and bone that form the framework of your nose. The skin and soft tissues then redrape themselves over this new framework.
Frequently Asked Questions – Nose Surgery
What is the right age for nose surgery?
Nose surgery is done after 15 years in girls and 16 in boys when the nose growth is complete. There is no upper age limit.
Are there going to be visible scars on the nose?
Nose surgery can be done through cuts inside the nose (closed rhinoplasty). Sometimes cuts are made on outside but in such places where the scar is not visible. You can discuss that in person.
How is the nose surgery done?
There are different techniques for different purposes like:
- For making the upper nose narrow: Infracturing of nasal bones, pushing them inwards.
- For removing the Hump on Nose: Excess bone/cartilage is shaved off.
- For elevating the nose Bridge: Silicone implant/bone graft is placed on the nose bridge under the skin.
- For flared nostrils and broad lower nose: Alar excision-small wedges of skin, as shown, are removed to narrow the base of the nose or reduce the width of the nostrils.
- For bulky tip: Tip reduction- the cartilages that make the tip, are made smaller and shapely, fat is removed.
- For tip shaping: Cartilage graft from septum of nose or from ear is placed inside the tip.
I understand that every surgical procedure has risks. What are the risks associated with rhinoplasty?
Fortunately, significant complications from rhinoplasty are infrequent. Some of the potential complications include hematoma (an accumulation of blood under the skin that may require removal), infection and reactions to anaesthesia. Numbness of the skin following rhinoplasty may occur but is usually temporary. Occasionally, if the surgical outcome needs further improvement, additional surgery may be necessary.
How much does the nose surgery cost?
Cost of nose surgery depends on how much alterations in nose are required , on surgeons experience and skills and hospital facilities. Plastic surgery is a combination of science and art and results vary from person to person and from surgeon to surgeon. Personal consultation is the best way for surgeon to assess you and your nose and for you to assess the surgeon. Only then the cost can be best determined.
What is the total healing time and when can I join back the work without being noticed?
Just like after any other surgery or injury there is swelling of the involved part (nose) after surgery. Additionally there is usually swelling of the eyelids. There can be bruises (black and blue patches) on nose and lower eyelid. There is also splint and or tape and packing inside the nose. Pack comes off in a day or two and splint in 5 to 7 days. At the end of one week nose is still swollen but not very prominently so people join back the work and if there are still some bruises they can be easily concealed with makeup. It is very important to remember that every person heals at different rates.
How soon after the surgery can I see the results?
Results of surgery are only partially appreciated by 1 to 2 week. In case of tip modification more than one month is required to barely notice the result. This is because tip skin is thick and takes longer to redrape over the newly shaped cartilage framework. Tip shape can be gradually appreciated over next 3 to 6 months. In some cases tip has been seen to improve up to one year after surgery.
I have had nose surgery done 2 months back and my nose still looks big. Will I need another surgery?
Two months is a short time to assess the result. Second surgery be thought of only if your nose is dissatisfactory even after 6 months and only if your surgeon is convinced that it can be further improved by second surgery. You can take a second opinion if needed. There is limit to which a nose can be modified safely without disfiguring it and extreme surgery can look artificial and incongruous like one American pop star’s nose.
I want to have my nose reshaped. I also have deviated septum. Can both the surgeries be done simultaneously or i need to meet an ENT surgeon?
Both surgeries can be done simultaneously by plastic surgeon.
Is there a risk of developing breathing problem after surgery?
No, but if you have any pre-existent nose block then it may worsen after infracturing. Thorough nasal examination before surgery can detect this problem and it can then be tackled at the time of surgery.
Is nose surgery covered by insurance?
Cosmetic / plastic surgery of nose are not covered by insurance in India.
My nose is fine but I want Aishwarya Rai’s nose. Can I have it by plastic surgery?
Each nose is unique. Unlike clay modeling or sculpting where things are in artist’s hand, in human body there are many things beyond the control of plastic surgeon- like individual tissue characteristics and healing quality. Plastic surgery basically improves your existing nose keeping it in harmony with rest of the face and without making it look artificial. There is no guarantee of a certain look.
Are there any software that can give me the idea about how my nose will look after surgery?
Yes, such software is available. But a word of caution- software can never mimic the real result. Human body can not be manipulated in a way software play with pictures. So real result may be better or worse than the software modified image.
My nose is very big. I have no girlfriends because of this. I am not able to concentrate on my studies and I feel depressed.
Can my nose be changed by plastic surgery?
Your nose may be improved by plastic surgery but it can not change your life. There is no guarantee that girls will start liking you after your nose is changed. You should have a stable mental condition and realistic expectation before opting for nose surgery.
Can other surgeries be combined with nose surgery?
Is silicone implant safe for elevating the nose?
Yes, silicon implants are safe and time tested.
What is the difference between implants and grafts from one’s own body? Which is better?
There are three choices for elevating the nasal bridge:
- Implants (silicone/medpor)
- Bone from ones own body (hip/elbow)
- Cartilage (nose/ear/rib)
There are advantages and limitations of each option. Generally nose cartilage is preferred in USA and Europe. Among Oriental (China, Japan), African and Indian surgeons implants are very popular because thick skin of nose permits safe placement of implants.